- Born: 10 April 1806, York, Yorkshire 126
- Marriage: Mary Dorothy Sayle on 30 June 1833
- Died: 23 December 1885 aged 79
- Buried: 31 December 1885, North Chapel, Whitkirk Church
In 1854, first a Captain then a Major in the same year, in the 4th
West Yorkshire Militia. Finally in 1862 beame a Lieutenant-Colonel in
the 1st West Riding Artillery Volunteers. Was a partner, with his
father in the Manston Colliery, near Leeds, Yorkshire. On his
father's death became the owner.
In 1843 Edward Waud presented a stained glass window, representing the
Crusifixion (by Wilmot) to the Whitkirk Church in memory of his wife
Mary. It was originally placed in the North Window; but in 1888 was
transferred to the West, or Tower Window.
He also contributed very generously towards the repairing and
re-fitting of Whitkirk Church - in particular in 1856 he restored and
re-roofed the North Chapel. The East Window, in the Chancel, was
probably put in about the same time.
In 1856 several new stained glass windows were placed in the church.
The East Window, in the chancel, as the gift of Edward Waud as a thank
offering, when more coal was struck at the neighboring West Yorkshire
pit. At the same time Edward had a school built for the miner's
children at Cross Gates.
The Waud Arms were placed in a window on the south side of Whitkirk
Church, in plain glass, but in 1933 these Arms were duly coloured.
By an order of the Queen-in-Council, dated 22 October 1856, it was
then ordered "that no new burial ground shall be opened in the Parish
of Whitkirk, in the County of York, without the previous approval of
one of her Majesty's principal Secretaries of State, and that the
burials in the Parish of Whitkirk shall be discontinued from and after
5 November 1856, except in the Vault of Mr. Edward Waud, which may be
used on condition that an external entrance be made, and all
communications between the Vault, and the interior of the church
closed: the internment in such vault being limited in lead embedded
in charcoal and enclosed in an air-tight manner."
Manston Hall, which was built in the 13th century, collapsed. What
was left was subsequently converted into cottages. Edward bought the
estate from a Mrs Dynetry, and then built a new mansion nearer to
Killenback and transferred the name Manston Hall to the new building.
The modern mansion, built about 1846 stands in a park of some 80
acres. After the death of Edward Waud, the property was bought by Edward Simpson, of Boston Spa.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census UK 1841: 1841, Park Row, Leeds, Yorkshire.
2. Census UK 1851: 31 March 1851, Manston Hall, Seacroft, Yorkshire.
3. Census UK 1861: 1861, Manston Hall, Seacroft, Yorkshire.
4. Resided: 7 January 1873, Southwold, Suffolk. 13
Edward married Mary Dorothy Sayle, daughter of Thomas Sayle and Unknown, on 30 June 1833. (Mary Dorothy Sayle was born in 1811 in Yorkshire.)