James Balfour 58,266
- Born: 10 May 1830, Edinburgh
- Christened: 16 June 1830, Edinburgh
- Marriage: Frances Charlotte Henty on 19 April 1859 in Hawthorne Church, Nr Melbourne
- Died: 1913, Melbourne, Australia aged 83 54
From The Times, August 25, 1913
A telegram from Melbourne annouces the death of Mr. James Balfour, the
Parlimentarian in Victoria. The son of a merchant of Leith, he was born in 1830 and was educated at Edinburgh Academy. In 1852 he went out to Australia, and was first elected to the Victorian Legislative Assembly in 1866, entering the
Legislative Council in 1874. He held office in the Gillies-Deakin and
McLean Ministries, and was president of the Melbourne Chamber of
Commerce in 1885-86. Had six sons and five daughters.
Noted events in his life were:
1. He appeared on the census in 1841 in Pilrig Street, Edinburgh.
2. He emigrated in 1852 to Melbourne, Australia. 332 Emigration
3. Passenger list: 17 December 1869, SS Wave Of Life, London To Geelong And Port Phi, Victoria.
James married Frances Charlotte Henty, daughter of James Henty and Unknown, on 19 April 1859 in Hawthorne Church, Nr Melbourne. (Frances Charlotte Henty was born in 1834 in Scotland 350.)