D'arcy Legard, C.M.G. D.S.O. 548
- Born: 5 June 1873, Stokesley, Yorkshire 10
- Marriage: Lady Edith Margaret Emily Mary Foljambe on 19 November 1908 in St. Peter's, Eaton Square, London
- Died: 9 March 1953, Tenbury, Worcestershire aged 79
From The Times, March 10, 1953
Brigadier-General D'Arcy Legard C.M.G., D.S.O., died yesterday at his
home at Tenbury, Worcestershire, at the age of 79.
The son of the Rev. Francis Digby Legard, rector of Stokesley,
Northallerton, he was born on June 5, 1873, and was educated at
Winchester and New College, Oxford. He was gazetted to the 17th
Lancers in 1896 and served throughout the South African war, in which
he was severely wounded and awarded the Queen's medal with four clasps
and the King's medal with two clasps. After attending the Staff
College and becoming G.S.O.3 at the War Office in 1907, he was made
Brigade Major of 2 Cavalry Brigade, and in 1911 he rejoined his
regiment in India.
In the 1914-18 war he was G.S.O.1, Indian Cavalry Corps, from 1914 to
1915, and from 1915 to 1916 he commanded the 17th Lancers. For the
rest of the war he commanded the Hussar Brigade, being awarded the
D.S.O. in 1918 and made a C.M.G. in 1919. From 1920 to 1924 he
commanded 6 (Midland) Cavalry Brigade, and in the latter year he
retired. He published undet the title of Cavalry on Service, a book
which he translated from the German of General von Palet-Narbonne.
He married in 1908 Lady Edith Foljambe, daugher of the first Earl of
Liverpool. There were three sons of the marriage.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census UK 1911: 1911, Westhorpe House, 2 Westwood, Scarborough, Yorkshire. 10
2. Resided: 9 March 1953, Maes Court, Tenbury, Worcestershire. 13
3. His funeral was held on 12 March 1953 in St. Mary's, Knighton-On-Teme, Worcestershire.
4. He had an estate probated on 12 June 1953 in Oxford. 13
D'arcy married Lady Edith Margaret Emily Mary Foljambe, daughter of Cecil George Savile Foljambe and Unknown, on 19 November 1908 in St. Peter's, Eaton Square, London. (Lady Edith Margaret Emily Mary Foljambe was born c 1880 in London 10 and died on 3 November 1962 in Tenbury Cottage Hospital, Tenbury, Worcestershire.)