Hugh Dawnay 54
- Born: 1875
- Marriage: Lady Susan de la Poer Beresford in 1902
- Died: 6 November 1914, Ypres, Belgium aged 39 13
Name: DAWNAY, The Hon. HUGH
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: 2nd Life Guards
Date of Death: 06/11/1914
Awards: D S O
Additional information: Second son of the 8th Viscount Downe; husband
of Lady Susan Dawnay, of Whitfield Court, Waterford.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: XVII. A. 14.
Cemetery: HARLEBEKE NEW BRITISH CEMETERY
From The Times, November 19, 1914
A service was held yesterday at Holy Trinity Garrison Church, Windsor,
in memory of Major the Hon. Hugh Dawnay, who was commanding the 2nd
Life Guard when he was killed, and of the other officers,
non-commissioned officers, and men of the 2nd Life Guards who have
been killed or have died of wounds, as far as it has been possible to
ascertain their names.
The 2nd Life Guards now at Windsor attended under the command of
Lieutenant-Colonel Oswals Ames, and among those present were Viscount
Downe, Lady Susan Dawnay, the Duchess of Beaufort, Sir Audley and Lady
Neeld, and Earl Clanwilliam.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Memorial Service: 18 November 1914, Holy Trinity Garrison Church, Windsor.
2. Resided: 6 November 1914, 109 Gloucester Place, Portman Square, London. 13
3. He had an estate probated on 8 January 1915 in London. 13
Hugh married Lady Susan de la Poer Beresford in 1902. (Lady Susan de la Poer Beresford died on 30 October 1947 in Whitfield Court, Waterford, Ireland 54.)