George Henry Martin Whish 231,836
- Born: 3 June 1857, Rohilcum, India
- Died: 3 January 1914, 1 Strathmore Gardens, Kensington, London aged 56 941
- Buried: 8 January 1914, Kensington Cemetery, Hanwell, London 941
From The Times, 7 January 1914
WHISH-On the 3rd Jan., at 1 Strathmore Gardens, W., suddenly, George Henry Martin Whish, only son of the late Lieut.-Col. Martin Boileau Whish, Bengal Staff Corps, aged 56. -Service at St. James Norlands, Addison Road North, at 12.5, Thursday, 8th. and interment at Kensington Cemetery, Hanwell. Friends kindly accept this, the only, intimation.
From The Times, 10 January 1914
The Late Mr. George Whish
"One Who Knew Him" writes:-
"Mr. Whish was born on June 3, 1857, in the Treasury at Moradabad, where the English ladies had been sent for safety when his father, Captain Martin Boileau Whish, took up command. Four hours after his birth Mr. Whish's young mother, with about 120 other Europeans, was forced to flee to the hills. For a short distance they were followed by Sepoys, who providentially gave up the pursuit under the impression that loot was to be obtained at the Treasury. This escape involved a perilous journey of 60 miles by night through mutinous villages to Naina Tal, at the foot of the hills. Anglo-Indians will realize what this means when we say that the journey was undertaken at the period of the greatest heat in the plains. Mr. Whish was one of the few born during the Mutiny who survived the terrible hardships of the time, and during his childhood created great interest as a 'Mutiny baby.'"
Noted events in his life were:
1. He appeared on the census in 1871 in 6 Hamilton Terrace, Leamington, Warwickshire.
2. Resided: 14 May 1890, 28 Addison Gardens, Kensington, London. 942
3. He appeared on the census in 1911 in 28 Addison Gardens, Kensington, London. 10
4. Resided: 3 January 1914, 1 Strathmore Gardens, Kensington, London. 13
5. His funeral was held on 8 January 1914 in St. James Norlands Church, Kensington, London. 941
6. He had an estate probated on 8 April 1914 in London. 13