- Born: 1597, Westcombe, Somerset 191
- Christened: 27 October 1597, Batcombe, Somerset 191
- Marriage: Elizabeth Davison in 1621
- Died: 1658 aged 61
- Buried: 26 February 1658, Beckington Vault, Somerset 191
Of Freshford, Somerset. Clothier. In 1640 was elected MP for
Westbury, Wiltshire in both the Short and the Long Parliaments, later
serving as MP for Somerset in both the first and second protectorate
parliaments (1654 - 1655, 1656 - 1657), and for Heytesbury in Richard
Cromwell's parliament in 1659. He was in favour with Cromwell but
refused to sit in judgment upon the King. Described as 'the greatest
clothier of his time'. Owned farms and land in Teffont which was left
to his son John in his will. First cousin was Dennis Bond.
Noted events in his life were:
1. He was baptised on 27 October 1597 in Batcombe, Somerset.
2. He signed a will on 15 March 1656.
3. He had an estate probated on 20 June 1659.
John married Elizabeth Davison, daughter of Henry Davison and Unknown, in 1621. (Elizabeth Davison was born in 1600 and died in 1673.)