- Born: 12 September 1851, Frankfurt Am Main, Germany
- Marriage: Emma Caroline Elizabeth Loveday in 1887
- Died: 14 October 1934, Yeldall, Twyford, Berkshire aged 83
Listed as Professor of Physics in 1881 and 1891. Accused of being a
spy in WWI. Sued for libel and gave £100 to the Red Cross.
From The Times, 18 October 1914
Wireless Receiver Seized
The Wokingham police have seized a wireless receiver and a quantity of insulated and ordinary wire at the residence of Professor Schuster, of Yeldall, Wargrave. The magistrates have issued an order for the police to detain the apparatus. Superintendant Goddard, in making the application, said Professor Schuster told him he could get a message from Berlin or the Eiffel Tower with the apparatus.
Professor Arthur Schuster is the secretary of the Royal Society and was born at Fraankfort-on-Main, in 1851, his father being the late Francis Joseph Schuster, of London. He is the brother of Sir Felix Schuster, who, as governor of the Union of London and Smiths Bank, is well known in financial circles. He was educated at Frankfort and at Ownes College, Manchester, and is a member of the Senate of the University of London.
Name: Arthur. Schuster
College: ST JOHN'S
More Information: Adm. Fell.-Com. at ST JOHN'S, Dec. 7, 1876; re-adm.,
1904. Hon. Sc.D. 1904. Professor of Physics at Manchester University,
1888-1907. President of the British Association, 1915. F.R.S.
Secretary of the R.S. on the Eclipse expedition to Siam, 1875. Ph.D.,
Heidelberg; D.Sc., Manchester; Hon. Sc.D., Oxford; Hon. LL.D., St
Andrews. Author, [IT:Theory of Optics; Progress of Physics;:IT] etc.
(Eagle, XLVIII. 197; Who was Who; The Times, Oct. 20, 1934.)
Noted events in his life were:
1. He immigrated in 1869 to England.
2. He appeared on the census in 1871 in 5 Hanley Grove, Chorlton On Medlock, Lancashire.
3. He appeared on the census in 1881 in St. Johns College, Cambridge.
4. Census UK 1891: 1891, 4 Anson Road, Rusholme, Manchester.
5. Census UK 1911: 1911, Kent House, Kent Road, Victoria Park, Rusholme, Lancashire. 10
Franz married Emma Caroline Elizabeth Loveday, daughter of Mr. Loveday and Caroline Ward, in 1887. (Emma Caroline Elizabeth Loveday was born in 1867 in Wardington, Oxfordshire and died on 12 April 1962 in Maidenhead, Berkshire 13.)