Charles Edward Knight 68
- Born: 13 February 1846, Chawton, Hampshire
- Marriage: Emma Grace Patrickson on 8 February 1872
- Died: 27 April 1912, The Rectory, Chawton, Hampshire aged 66 13
From The Times, April 30, 1912
The Rev. Charles Edward Knight, rector of Chawton, Hants, died at his
rectory on Saturday.
Mr. Knight was a great-nephew of Jane Austen, being the grandson of
her brother, Mr. Edward Austen, who took the name Knight in 1812 on
inheriting property at Chawton and Godmersham from his cousin, Mr.
Thomas Knight. Jane Austen lived at Chawton from 1809 till three
months before her death in 1817. Mr. Knight was the eighth son of Mr.
Edward Knight, of Godmersham Park and Chawton House, and was born in
1846. He was educated at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and was also a
student of Lichfield Theological College, being ordained in 1874 to
the curacy of Yoxall, Staffordshire. Two years later he was nominated
to the family living of Chawton, which he held till his death. He
married, in 1872, Emma Grace, daughter of Major John Patrickson, of
the Madras Horse Artillery, and had issue five sons and one daughter.
Noted events in his life were:
1. He appeared on the census in 1851 in Chawton House, Chawton, Hampshire.
2. He appeared on the census in 1861 in Chawton House, Chawton, Hampshire.
3. Census UK 1911: 1911, The Rectory, Chawton, Hampshire. 10
4. Resided: 27 April 1912, The Rectory, Chawton, Hampshire. 13
5. He had an estate probated on 28 May 1912 in London. 13
Charles married Emma Grace Patrickson, daughter of Major John Patrickson and Unknown, on 8 February 1872. (Emma Grace Patrickson was born c 1849 in Aden, Arabia 10 and died on 22 January 1924 in Farnborough, Hampshire 13.)