- Born: 23 October 1845, Westover, Isle of Wight
- Christened: 23 November 1845, Calbourne, Isle of Wight
- Marriage: Adelaide Sophie Hamersley on 21 December 1880 in St. Peter's, Bournemouth
- Died: 23 June 1923, The Rosary, Freshwater Bay, Isle of Wight aged 77 13,36,63
- Buried: 23 June 1923, Westover, Isle of Wight 36
From The Times, June 26, 1923
Lieutenant-Colonel the Hon. Edward Alexander Holmes à Court died on
Saturday at Freshwater Bay, I.W., aged 77. Born on October 23, 1845,
the fifth son of the second Lord Heytesbury and uncle of the present
peer, he obtained his commission in the King's Shropshire Light
Infantry, and retired in 1886. He served in the Afghan War of 1879-80
with the Kuram Division, and was mentioned in dispatches. Afterwards
he was appointed Chief Constable of Oxfordshire. He married, in 1880,
Adelaide Sophie, daughter of Hugh Hamersley, of Pyrton Manor,
Oxfordshire, and had one son, Major R. E. Holmes à Court, D.S.O.,
Shropshire Light Infantry, and two daughters, Adelaide Emily, the wife
of Sir. J.W. Barrington Simeon, Bt., and Ruth Mary, who married,
first, Major C.E. Forrest, D.S.O., who was killed in action in 1919,
and secondly, Colonel E.A.E. Lethbridge, C.M.G., D.S.O.
Major of the 85th Regiment, or Kings Shropshire Light Infantry, from
1882 to 1886, when he was appointed hon. Lieutenant Colonel; he
served in the Afghan War of 1879 -80 with the Kuram Division and was
mentioned in despatches. Chief constable of Oxfordshire from 1888.
Noted events in his life were:
1. He appeared on the census on 30 March 1851 in Westover House, Westover, Isle of Wight.
2. He appeared on the census in 1861 in Heytesbury House, Heytesbury, Wiltshire.
3. Census UK 1881: 1881, The Cottage, Headington Hill, Headington, Oxford.
4. He appeared on the census in 1901 in Pyrton Manor, Pyrton, Oxfordshire.
5. Census UK 1911: 1911, The White House, Iffley, Oxfordshire.
6. Resided: 23 June 1923, The Rosary, Freshwater Bay, Isle of Wight. 13
7. He had an estate probated on 2 August 1923 in London. 13
Edward married Adelaide Sophie Hamersley, daughter of Hugh Hamersley and Phillippa Mary Anne Phillips, on 21 December 1880 in St. Peter's, Bournemouth. (Adelaide Sophie Hamersley was born in 1853 in Pyrton, Oxford and died on 6 May 1945 in The North Oxford Nursing Home, Oxford 13.)