- Born: 2 December 1858, Chelsea, London
- Christened: 30 December 1858, St. Jude, Chelsea 78
- Marriage: Rhoda Annie Brooke on 4 June 1896 in Christ Church, Claughton, Cheshire
- Died: 26 October 1929, 4 Blackhall Road, Oxford aged 70
Attended Marlborough; Worcester College, Oxford, matriculated 15
October 1878; (1st Class Classical Mods., 2nd Class Lit Hum.). M.A.
Oxford; Hon. M.A. Cambridge; Hon. L.L.D. Birmingham.
Barrister-at-law, Inner Temple, 1885; travelled widely, 1885-95:
United States, Canada, Egypt, India, Japan, Australia, New Zealand,
Central Pacific, especially Samoa, where he chiefly resided, 1892 -
1895; Assistant Sec. to Delegacy of Oxford Local Examinations, 1899
- 1902; Director of education for Staffordshire1903 - 1926.
Publications: Educational Systems of Great Britain and Ireland; Life
of Robert Louis Stevenson, 1901; Educational Administration, 1921.
Address: 4 Blackhall Road, Oxford.
Club: New University.
2nd cousin and biographer of Robert Louis Stevenson. Visited RLS in
Samoa circa 1893.
Graham Balfour's father Graham and RLS's mother Margaret Balfour were
Balfours of Pilrig
Noted events in his life were:
1. He appeared on the census in 1861 in 10 Sumner Place, Kensington, London.
2. He appeared on the census in 1871 in 10 Sumner Place, Kensington, London.
3. Census UK 1901: 1901, 151 Woodstock Road, Oxford.
4. Census UK 1911: 1911, Riverdale, Colwich, Stafford, Staffordshire. 10
5. Knighthood: 1917.
6. His funeral was held on 29 October 1929 in Flagbrick Hill Cemetary, Birkenhead, Cheshire.
7. He had an estate probated on 13 December 1929 in Oxford.
Thomas married Rhoda Annie Brooke, daughter of Leonard Dobbin Brooke and Rhoda Prentice, on 4 June 1896 in Christ Church, Claughton, Cheshire. (Rhoda Annie Brooke was born on 10 January 1869 in 22 Park Road South, Birkenhead, Cheshire, died on 13 December 1957 in Grimston Gardens, Folkestone and was buried in 1957 in Flagbrick Hill Cemetary, Birkenhead, Cheshire.)