Arthur Hay Stewart Reid 35,53,68
- Born: 10 October 1851, Agra, North Western Provinces, India
- Marriage: Agnes Imogen Beadon on 9 August 1897 in Christ Church, Simla, Punjab, India
- Died: 7 November 1930, Pamphill Manor House, Wimborne, Dorset aged 79
Educated at Harrow and Trinity Hall College, Cambridge; Michaelmas 1869. Adm. pens. (age 17) at TRINITY HALL, May 30, 1869. 2nd s. of Henry Stewart, of the Bengal Civil Service B.A. 1873; M.A. 1885. Admitted. at the Inner Temple, Apr. 17, 1871. Called to the Bar, Jan. 26, 1874. Practised in
the North-West Provinces of India. Professor of Law at Muir College,
Allahabad, 1883-95. Public Prosecutor and standing Counsel, N.W.P.,
1895-6; Puisne Judge, 1896-1909. Knighted, 1909. Chief Justice, 1909-14.
From The Times, November 8, 1930
Sir Arthur Hay Stewart Reid, of Pamphill Manor House, Wimborne, died
yesterday, at the age of 79.
The second the son of Mr. Henry Stewart Reid, Bengal Civil Service, he
went to Harrow in 1864, where he was in Mr. Rendall's house. He went
up to Trinity Hall, Cambridge, took his degree in 1872, and was called
to the Bar by the Inner Temple in 1874. He practised in the
North-West Provinces, and in 1883 he was appointed Professor of Law at
Allahabad, and held the chair until 1895, when he was made Public
Prosecutor and Standing Counsel, North-West Provinces. In the
following year he was raised to the Punjab Bench, and became Chief
Judge in 1909, when he wsa knighted. He retired in 1914. From 1916
to 1918 he was a member of the O.T.C. Selection Board. Sir Arthur
married, in 1897, Agnes Imogen, daughter of the late Sir Cecil Beadon,
K.C.S.I., and had one son, who is in the Navy, and two daughters.
The funeral will be at Canford Magna Church, near Wimborne, on Monday,
Noted events in his life were:
1. Boarder: 1861, The Vicarage, North Moreton, Berkshire.
2. Boarder: 1871, Bear Inn, Village Street, North Moreton, Berkshire.
3. Resided: 7 November 1930, Pamphill Manor House, Wimborne, Dorset. 13
4. His funeral was held on 10 November 1930 in Canford Magna, Wimborne.
5. He had an estate probated on 11 February 1931 in London. 13
Arthur married Agnes Imogen Beadon, daughter of Sir Cecil Beadon and Agnes Sterndale, on 9 August 1897 in Christ Church, Simla, Punjab, India. (Agnes Imogen Beadon was born in 1870 in Cirencester, Gloucestershire and died on 22 July 1964 54.)