William Henry Ashe à Court, 2nd Baron Heytesbury 17,18,33,34,52
- Born: 11 July 1809, Parish Of Marylebone
- Christened: August 1809, Heytesbury, Wiltshire
- Marriage: Elizabeth Worsley Holmes on 3 October 1833 in Calbourne, Isle of Wight 51
- Died: 21 April 1891, Heytesbury, Wiltshire aged 81 53
- Buried: 1891, Heytesbury, Wiltshire
Privately baptised at Manchester Street, Marylebone and christened afterwards at Heytesbury. Assumed additional name of Holmes on 14 October 1833 after his marriage with Elizabeth. MP for Isle of Wight, 1837-1847. Educated at Eton and St. John's College, Cambridge; Entered: Michaelmas. 1828; ; M.A. 1831. Succeeded as 2nd Baron Heytesbury, May 31, 1860.
Obituary (Isle of Wight County Press 1891):
Death of a former member for the Island - The bearer of a name which has many associations with the Island passed away on Tuesday in the person of the Rt. Hon. William Henry Ashe A'Court Holmes, second Baron Heytesbury. The deceased peer, who was in his 82nd year, was in early life, as Mr. A'Court Holmes, closely identified with Isle of Wight politics. In 1837, when 28, he stood for the Island in the Conservative interest, his Liberal opponent being the Hon. C.D. Pelham, whom he defeated by 68 votes (629 against 560). At the election in 1841 he was returned unopposed and he continued to represent the Island until 1847.
From The Times, 23 April 1891
Lord Heytesbury died at his residence, Heytesbury, Wilts, on Tuesday last, aged 72. He was the son of the first baron, by the second daughter of the Hon. William H. Bouverie, granddaughter of the first Earl of Radnor. He was born in London in 1809; married, in 1833, the eldest daughter of the late Sir Leonard W. Holmes, whose name he assumed; and succeeded his father in 1860. He was educated at Eton and St. John's College, Cambridge; was M.P. for the Isle of Wight from 1837-47; and was a J.P. and D.L. of Hants and Wiltshire. He is succeeded in the title by his grandson, Mr W. A'Court-Holmes.
Noted events in his life were:
1. He was baptised in August 1809 in Manchester Street, Marylebone. Private Baptism at Manchester Street, Marylebone
2. Census UK 1841: 1841, Westover House, Westover, Isle of Wight.
3. Census UK 1851: 30 March 1851, Westover House, Westover, Isle of Wight.
4. Census UK 1861: 1861, Heytesbury House, Heytesbury, Wiltshire.
5. Census UK 1871: 1871, Heytesbury House, Heytesbury, Wiltshire.
6. He appeared on the census in 1881 in Ewhurst House, Ewhurst, Hampshire.
7. Census UK 1891: 1891, Heytesbury House, Heytesbury, Wiltshire.
8. He had an estate probated on 4 June 1891. 54
William married Elizabeth Worsley Holmes, daughter of Leonard Thomas Worsley Holmes, 9th Baronet and Anne Redston Delgarno, on 3 October 1833 in Calbourne, Isle of Wight.51 (Elizabeth Worsley Holmes was born on 14 December 1814 in Calbourne, Isle of Wight, died on 30 June 1874 in Heytesbury, Wiltshire 36 and was buried in 1874 in Heytesbury, Wiltshire.)