William Leonard Holmes à Court 33,34,42,43
- Born: 19 January 1835, London
- Marriage: Isabella Sophia à Court Beadon on 24 September 1861 in Cheddar, Somerset
- Died: 16 December 1885, 4 Victoria Square, Clifton, Bristol aged 50 13
- Buried: December 1885, Heytesbury, Wiltshire
A Deputy Lieutenant of the Isle of Wight. Godfather Lord Heytesbury,
and one other. Godmother Lady Worsley Holmes.
From The Times, 18 December 1885
We have to record the death of the Hon. William Leonard Holmes-A'Court, the eldest son of Lord Heytesbury, which occured on Wednesday at Clifton. He was the grandson of the distinguished diplomatist, Sir William A'Court, first Lord Heytesbury, who was Ambassador successively at the Courts of St. Petersburg, Turin, and Madrid. Mr. Holmes-A'Court was born in January, 1935; his mother was Elizabeth, eldest daughter and heiress of the late Sir Leonard Worsley-Holmes, of Westover, in the Isle of Wight. He was educated at Eton and St. John's College, Cambridge. Mr. Holmes-A'Court was a deputy lieutenant for the Isle of Wight and a magistrate for Wiltshire. He married, in 1861, Isabella Sophia, daughter of the Rev. Richard A'Court Beadon, late vicar of Cheddar, Somerset, by whom he leaves a family of seven sons and three daughters. His eldest son, William Frederick, born in 1862, now becomes heir to his grandfather's barony of Heytesbury.
Inscription found in Heytesbury Church:
In Memory of William Leonard Holmes à Court eldest son of the 2nd
Baron Heytesbury born 19th January 1835 died 16th December 1885 buried
Also of Isabella Sophia his wife daughter of the Reverend Richard à
Court Beadon born 26th December 1836 died 24th September 1908 buried
Also of Emily Caroline their eldest daughter born 16th July 1864 died
11th August 1892 buried at Aix La Chapelle.
From Cambridge Alumni:
ST JOHN'S College, Cambridge
Entered: Michaelmas. 1853
More Information: Adm. pens. at ST JOHN'S, Oct. 12, 1853. School,
Eton. Matric. Michaelmas. 1853 (A'Court, W. L. Holmes); M.A. 1856. Assumed
by Royal Licence the surname of Holmes-A'Court (in lieu of
A'Court-Holmes) Aug. 9, 1860. [His son William Frederick, succeeded as
3rd Baron Heytesbury.] Died v.p. Dec. 16, 1885, aged 50. Brother of Herbert H. (1870). (G.E.C., ed. Gibbs.)
Noted events in his life were:
1. He was baptised on 7 February 1835 in St. George's Hanover Square, London.
2. He appeared on the census in 1841 in Westover House, Westover, Isle of Wight.
3. Pupil: 1851, Eton College, Eton, Berkshire.
4. He appeared on the census in 1861 in Heytesbury House, Heytesbury, Wiltshire.
5. Census UK 1881: 1881, High Street, Heytesbury, Wiltshire.
6. He appeared on the census in 1871 in 8 York Place, Clifton, Bristol.
7. Resided: 16 December 1885, Ivy House, Heytesbury, Wiltshire.
8. He had an estate probated on 4 February 1886 in Bristol, Somerset. 13
William married Isabella Sophia à Court Beadon, daughter of Reverend Richard à Court Beadon and Isabella White, on 24 September 1861 in Cheddar, Somerset. (Isabella Sophia à Court Beadon was born on 26 December 1836 in Merriott, Somerset, died on 24 September 1908 in Hillside, Warminster, Wiltshire and was buried in 1908 in Heytesbury, Wiltshire.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
1. They obtained a marriage settlement on 23 September 1861.